Jensen Properties has developed a minimum property standard for all rental units. We hope that these standards will help give the property a competitive advantage in the market, reduce liability and potential costs from deferred maintenance, and provide a safe and comfortable home for tenants.
When we inspect your unit(s), we will look for the standards below and make suggestions and recommendations accordingly. There are certain standards that must be upheld so that the unit is habitable and up to California code.
To make this process easier for our vendors and office, we often use a Make Ready Checklist. At the bottom of this page, you can open and download a Make Ready Checklist to help you while getting your unit ready to rent.
Please contact us if you have any questions about getting your unit ready to rent.
Habitability Standards in California
- Effective waterproofing and weather protection of roof and exterior walls, including unbroken windows and doors.
- Well-maintained plumbing and gas facilities compliant with law in effect at the time of installation
- Water supply compliant with applicable law that is capable of producing hot and cold running water, furnished to appropriate fixtures, and connected to a sewage disposal system approved under applicable law.
- Well-maintained heating facilities compliant with applicable law at the time of installation
- Well-maintained electrical lighting compliant with applicable law at the time of installation
- Building, grounds, and appurtenances kept sanitary and free from debris and vermin at the time of rent or lease
- Sufficient number of receptacles for garbage
- Floors, stairways, and railings maintained in good repair.
- A mail receptacle for each residential unit
- Locks conforming to code [CA Civil Code Sec. 1941.3]
- Deadbolt lock on each main swinging entry door
- Window security or locking devices for windows capable of being opened
- Smoke and CO detectors as needed to be in compliance with California code.
- Smoke detectors (10 year sealed battery) in each bedroom, in each hallway/common entryway to the bedrooms, and on each floor.
- CO detectors are required if there are any gas lines in or neighboring the unit. If your unit has a gas powered water heater, stove, or heater, there must be a CO detector. If your unit runs exclusively on gas but is next door to a unit/room (i.e. common laundry room) that uses gas, your unit must have a CO detector.
Jensen Properties Minimum Standards
- Window Screens. All windows must have working screens. The screen frames should not be bent and the screens should be free of holes or tears.
- If air conditioning is advertised as being provided with the unit, it must be in working condition and it will also need to be kept in working order throughout the tenancy. If the air conditioning unit does not function, we cannot advertise the unit with AC.
- Unit must be free of mold and all leaks (whether water or gas).
- Unit must be free of all personal belongings. Jensen Properties does not keep track or manage personal belongings. Any personal items left behind will be reported back to you. However, if anything is left in the unit, the tenant cannot be held responsible for any damage.
The following items can add value to your rental property and help it to rent at a higher rate. They also can potentially prevent future issues.
- New Paint. At Jensen Properties, we expect the paint in a rental unit to last for 3 years under normal wear and tear. When tenants are looking for units to rent, paint is a very obvious thing and having new paint can help your unit rent quicker.
- Working Blinds. You unit will rent much more easily and quickly if you have working blinds in each window.
- Quarter-Turn Angle Stops. Many plumbing problems can come from old or broken angle stops. To prevent issues, we recommend installing newer quarter-turn angle stops so that the likelihood of a plumbing issue is less.
- Pressure Regulator. Sometimes a pressure regulator is suggested to make sure the water pressure in your unit is not too high. High water pressure can be the cause of many plumbing issues including burst pipes, pinhole leaks, shower/sink cartridges failing, supply lines and angle stops failing, etc.
- Smartlock Deadbolts. At Jensen Properties, we use Kwikset’s Smartkey system to make rekeying between tenants fast and easy. We suggest this on some, but not all our rental properties. Before changing any of your locks, contact us for more information.
Let Us Help You
Jensen Properties knows how to get units ready to rent. Call us or send us a message so we can help you with your make ready. We will provide a free rental analysis and come to you in person when you’re available.
Explore our website to see the many ways we can help you with your property goals.